Elite Dangerous 014 Col 285 Sector WL-L c8-40
Burn Rise - Pohl Analysis Lab - Georgia Girl II
The Grand Tour, PAGE 14
NOTE: All 138 facilities built in this system are listed (and shown) in order of distance from the sun. At least, according to the in-game architect’s view. There's a total of slightly over 18 hours of video, so the video, and the descriptions, are broken into smaller portions across multiple posts.
Some descriptions were written by myself, some with the help of AI. I've personally edited all of them, so if you must blame someone, blame me. :^)
08A Surface 00
Burn Rise
Scientific Surface Outpost (Porrima)
DOCK: Large
Stephen L. Burns is a mainstay of Analog Science Fiction and Fact, celebrated for his character-driven stories and "hard" sci-fi foundations. He is best known for his Syllis and Fleury series, featuring a high-tech medic and her companion, which explores complex bio-ethics and space-faring medicine. His novel Flesh and Silver stands out for its vivid world-building, while acclaimed shorter works like "The Man on the Moon" and "Leap of Faith" showcase his ability to blend human emotion with technical wonder.
I’ve read one of the Syllis and Fleury stories (or book, I can't remember if it was standalone or in an anthology). Been a long time, but I remember it being enjoyable with appealing characters.
08A Surface 01
Pohl Analysis Lab
Bio Settlement Large (Chronos)
DOCK: Large
See “Pohl’s Deposit” for full write-up at (10Ba Surface 00).
08B Orbital 00
Georgie Girl II (Formerly Pratchett Landing)
Coriolis Starport
DOCK: Large
This is the 2nd Memorial for Georgette. She was my Mother-in-Law, but I just called her Mom. She was one-of-a-kind, and took me in without reservation. She was a force of nature. Devoutly faithful, she spent innumerable hours studying her bible and faith-based books. She never let someone dictate faith to her, she did her own research and spoke her mind. I was proud of her. She was one of those people who was always going, and had a never-ending supply of energy.
I believed she was unstoppable, until she wasn’t. I miss her. Sometimes, when I was rambling on the piano and happened to hit on a song she liked, she would dance and/or sing her way into the living room, smiling at some memory the song brought back. I always enjoyed finding a song that she especially liked. In particular, because it was her namesake, she liked "Georgie Girl."
This is actually her 2nd tribute station. My first ever system is near Shinrarta Dezhra. The Primary station in that system, the first station I ever built, was named Georgie Girl after her.
Without knowing how hard it might be, (this was before the Panther Clipper Mk 2 came out) I wanted to build a Coriolis, and name it in her honor. It being my first facility, I had no idea how long it would take to build. Because of the time limit, I was afraid of not being able to finish.
Wanting to build a memorial in her honor was what got me interested in colonizing in the first place. I confided my plan to Monique. She backed me 100%, even allowing me to “skip work” (we work from home) until it was done, since the primary comes with that time limit. With my Imperial Cutter, and issues I have with focus and memory, it wound up taking 4 days. And I had been worried about it taking more than the allotted 28 days!!
I placed a second tribute station in this system, WL-L c8-40, for Monique’s Mom, and for my Dad, because this is my home system. I wanted both of them to be represented here, in my “base of operations.”
No comments:
Post a Comment